I have this reoccurring dream where I am in a dense fog. I want to wake up, but I can’t. I lie there body paralyzed, but mentally I am fully aware of my surroundings. I can’t go forward, and I can’t go back. It’s debilitating. It’s maddening. It’s depressing. These dreams are as close as I can come to describing the spiritual depression I went though when my weight was out of control.
I was trapped in a real life fog. Trying desperately to move one way or another and simply couldn’t make myself move. The more depressed and disconnected from God I became, the more weight I gained. The more weight I gained, the more depressed and disconnected from God I grew. The less I wanted to read God’s Word; the less I wanted to pray. It is a vicious cycle that the enemy loves to keep us bound in. Sound familiar?
Thankfully, we have the Holy Spirit.
With the holy Spirit, we can change our state of spiritual depression and set those chains down.
Here is how:
- Tell God how you feel. Be honest. He knows already, anyway. If you are mad, say you are. If you are lost, tell Him.
- Through prayer, tell God your need for Him to hear you and confess your sins.
- The Holy Spirit will bring you hope and peace.
- Realize and honor that God’s grace for you is sufficient in every area of your life, including this one.
- Open your Bible. Go anywhere. It is filled with people who have problems just like you and I. Ordinary people who God used to do extraordinary things.
- You are one of His children. He will use you to do the extraordinary if you are willing.
- Accept God’s wisdom, mercy, and grace. For real.
Why, my soul, are you downcast?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God. (Psalm 42:5)
There is a way out of this. He waits to lead you. When you are weak; God is strong. He is waiting for you to say three little words, “God, help me.”